Tips for selecting the best fit college
- February 21, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Uncategorized
In this blog, we are trying to leave you with some decision-making tips which might come in handy in deciding the best college that suits you the most.
Defining terms such as good, best, success, failure etc., could get very subjective as they are qualitative. As the writer of this blog, I give you full liberty to either accept or reject the tips provided for selecting the best college, as it is very difficult to generalize the tips discussed. Specific information would enable a more targeted discussion. However, the tips discussed here are general in nature. You may consider the tips as just a broad framework to zero upon a best or nearly best college.
Even before we start the journey of selecting the best college, it is important for us to define what is best for us. To know what is best for us, it is important to know ourselves well. Knowing one’s own self can be done through the following:
- Try to mind map and assess your strengths and weaknesses.
- Ask the friends and family to tell your strengths and weakness.
- Go backward in time to know the activities that you liked the most and those which you disliked.
- Figuring out what makes you feel happy and what really bothers you the most. It may be subjects that you studied or activities in which you participated in.
- Are there any such activities in which, when involved, you lose the track of time and everything else at that time other than your preferred activity, appears as a disturbance? Such activity is your ‘Flow’. That’s your passion. Your strength. Your core.
- Are there any such activities in which, when involved, you are stressed, distracted easily, you leave it unfinished, and feel the time is stuck? Your weakness. Note your core.
If you have successfully discovered yourself, identifying the best-fit college becomes extremely easy. You just have to look for that college which appreciates and encourages your flow. If the college has facilities that promote your flow, your job and life are done.
Discovering the best college
Personally, I recommend discovering self and later matching it with the college as the best methodology to zero upon the best-fit college; however, discovering self is not an easy job for obvious reasons. One may need guidance and assistance in doing so. A counselor may be of some help. (At MICA free counseling is extended to the needy students) The other approach to find the best-fit college is by discovering the best college.
- Reviews may be misguiding, don’t just go by the reviews. Visit the colleges; it helps for sure. If not, read the website of the college thoroughly, to have complete information about the college under discussion.
- Do not hesitate to ask questions about the admission counselors / Teaching faculties / HoDs / Principals. Remember you are seeking information and it is definitely is your duty and right. If possible visit the colleges with a structured questionnaire.
- You need not to take the admission decision immediately. Take some time. Discussing the attributes of a college, course, teaching faculty, facilities with family and friends helps.
- If possible connection with the alumni of the college and seek their honest feedback. Facebook, LinkedIn is the best tools to reach out to the alumni.
- Understand the co-curricular and extracurricular activities facilitated in the college and ascertain the value it might add to your résumé and self.
- Find out how serious the college is about assessments, attendance, non-classroom activities, projects etc.,
- Identify if the college encourages latest trends like internships, live projects, campus connect programs etc.,
- Understand the profile of the students studying in the college. It might give you an idea of the kind of students with whom you would be interacting for 2 – 5yrs time.
- If you are keen on placements at the end of the course, try to know more about the placement preparation and assistance programs extended by the college.
- Along with all these, do understand the fees structure of the college. Know more about the merit scholarships, installments available to pay the fees, bank loans etc., prior to admissions.
The tips given might come in handy to select the best-fit college. If you need further information on MICA, the counseling help feel free to reach out to me or my team.
We wish you all the best in selecting the best-fit college. Good luck.
Manager – PR and Admissions.